Turkey and apple meatloaf (for Baby and Family)
I found a similar recipe on the "finger foods" section of wholesomebabyfood.com and decided to adapt it something that we could not only serve to the baby, but to the rest of the family as well.
This was just attempt one, so I will be playing around with the seasonings....since the baby was having it for the first time I wanted to keep bland and we seasoned ours after cooking. As the baby gets more used to flavors / spices / seasonings I am sure I will have many variantions.
What you need:
- 1 lb of ground turkey
- 1 egg
- Bread crumbs (I made my own...a few pieces of bread spinkled with olive oil in the oven to dry out and the crush into the turkey mixture)
- 1 to 2 diced apples depending on the size
- Dried Cranberries ( I left a couple of pieces worth without the cranberries for the baby)
- Walnuts (if you are making for an older child who you know does not have nut allergies)
- Veggie Puree / dices, as desired
*If it is too moist add some additional bread crumbs
Combine Turkey, egg, bread crumbs and veggie puree (as desired) until you have the right consistency - when you can just for it into a loaf
Add apples, and cranberries, walnuts
Form into a loaf and cook at 350 for about 45 minutes to an hour (basically until you stick you knife in the thickest part and it comes out clean)
Serving suggestions for baby and toddler:
- For you beginner eater: pop a small piece of meatloaf into the food processor with veggie puree of choice
- For your self-feeder: Cut into strips / small pieces for feeding and served them fruit / veggie puree with meal
- For your toddler: serve with warm apple sauce / apple compote and veggie sticks
Serving suggestions for the adults / older children:
- A Thanksgiving Panini any time of the year: Get some crusty bread and make some cranberry mayonaise. Spread the mayonaise on the bread, slice the meatloaf into sandwich size pieces and put the sanwhich into your panini press (no panini press - wrap a brick in tin foil and put it on top of the sandwich to a similar effect).
*Not into the mayonaise??? Spread the bread with a homemade cranberry sauce with apples in it. I have a great one that I make for the Holidays...keep an eye out for the recipe!!!